Friday, June 4, 2010

June 4th-- Preparation

This morning I picked up my 'James Beard's American Cookery' book. I was so excited to have it that I even went to the WRONG book store at first!! ;-). Last night I called Boarders to see if they had this book in stock which they did. The gentlemen asked if I would like to put it on hold, In which I respond with a "You Bet I do!" Well, this morning I stopped by Barnes and Noble and was completely disappointing when the book wasn't on hold and not even on their shelves. *SIGH* The lady apologized and softly said "why don't you check over at Boarders?" *LIGHT BULB* With an embarrassed look, Nod and smile I responded with "Great Idea! Thanks." and was on my way. Gladly the book was on hold at Boarders and to top it off, I had 10 dollar gift card in hand :-).

At home I started reading through, and I quote, "The Bible of American cooking by "the king of gourmets" -Time" As you can imagine by the reference, This book is HUGE. There are over 800 pages all in which have amazing Culinary Literature. It teaches you everything from poaching an egg to shopping, picking and preparing the best meats. There are some great recipes in here, But I believe this book is mainly a guide to cooking. Plus Culinary Literature of the history of recipes and how American experimentation has changed these recipes over the years. I think towards the middle or end of this year I will be using a different cookbook but using the techniques I will be learning in Mr. Beards book.

"There is absolutely no substitute for the best. Good food cannot be made of inferior ingredients masked with high flavor. It is true thrift to use the best ingredients available and to waste nothing." ---Beard.


Tonight I will be cooking 'Favorite Meat Loaf'. according to the book, In the 1900's one of the very first published recipes for meat loaf appeared in Mrs. Rorer's cookbook. Meat Loaf has been revised over the years to adhere to the specific taste of the people cooking it. The recipe I will be using was inspired by Mrs. Rorer's and Mr. Beard loved it simply because of the way it is cooked.

I hope this meat loaf comes out good!! I have never cooked meat loaf before.

Signing out to cook-- 4.49pm

To my readers-- Thank you so much for continuing to follow and support me. I hope I can catch your interest as each day continues to pass.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure thw meatloaf will come out great! Mike loves it when I make meatloaf :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet it will come out great! your an amazing cook!

    -Christa

    ReplyDelete